Saturday, October 3, 2009

Look what I've been up to...who would have thought???


So anybody who knows me knows that I don't have much in the way of homemaking skills.
One thing I've always wanted to learn is canning... thanks to my homemaking diva friend Cari Jessup I finally had a chance to give it a try. Look at the AMAZING RESULTS!
After a lot of work and one cut finger I have 24 cans of peaches and five cans of peach jam;)
THANKS CARI! The best was seeing all the "fruits" of our labor and feeling so good about it.
I think I might be able to get into this homemaking thing after all. Well at least the canning part of it:)

16 comments:

Joni said...

Good for you! The fruit looks gorgeous.

Kristi said...

way to go Melissa! You definitely should feel proud of what you accomplished, they look great!

Ruby said...

Well done Melissa! Now you need to come for a visit and teach me :-)

Anonymous said...

Whooo hooo well done! il be coming to test them out sooon :)

Sharon & George said...

You are so amazing Melissa. You actually canned peaches and made jam before me. I'll have to fix that! I think I'm going to give it try this week. Hopefully I will be as successful. Give my Katie and Baby Sharon kisses from me.

Jane said...

That is so wonderful! I have never done canning, it seems to intimidating and overwhelming. Good for you, enjoy that fruit.

Anonymous said...

Look at you Melissa! I am super impressed! You made so many canned peaches! One of these days I'll work on my homemaking skills too...I will call you for help :)

Anonymous said...

Peaches are on sale right now at the store for 25 cents a can...way ta be Mel, you just saved yourself 3 bucks! Now, poor Dan has to eat peaches as his dessert for the next year. What are you...ninety years old!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Great...now you got mom wanting to get her 'jamming' on. She's all or nothing...and is most likely going to start a jam factory at 5116 Golden Glory. Heaven help ol' Georgie.

Cindy and Rob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy and Rob said...

Okay....what? canning. It is going to rain, no snow. Its going to snow. I am proud of you, those look so good. You should make peach cobbler. I have a good recipes. I miss you tons.
Oh, can you bring me a couple cans of peaches? Dont forget. Like 5 cans. I love peaches and love cobbler. I miss you terribly. Cant wait to see you and to get my peaches.

The du Toit Family said...

Absolutely amazing ......... They look so great, and please please please after all that effort, do not give any away, they may come to your home to have pudding, and you can share the fruits of your labour and watch as each one enjoys it. Just to say, I cook good, I bake good, I sew just fine but I have never attempted what you have, Nanna has and that was when she stayed in Heidelberg, and she was about my age at the time. So go girl, and know that you have triumphed over all of us in this family. Well done, but I am still not ever going to attempt it .......... Love and miss you all lot

Kerry Armstrong said...

To use the words of the very famous Craig Zurcher: "Holy Cow! Freakin' A!" :) Well done little miss homemaker! Is this part of the 'nesting' period? ;) I'm a very impressed friend. Whatever you do though, don't you dare get involved with scrap booking! As soon as you start that, it'll be the end of your regular blogging and that won't be good for the rest of us.

Kristin Marshall Photographie said...

Wow I'm jealous that you are feeling well enough to do something like this!

steph said...

Fantastic Melissa! What is even better is when you get to eat your yummy fruit when it is cold outside and the only other way you'd get peaches is from a can (totally doesn't taste the same)! Who likes that metallic taste? EW!!! 'Good on ya' and enjoy!