Thursday, October 8, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!


I just thought I would share with you how fortunate I've been to have the father I have.
My dad is seriously one of the most generous people I know! His whole life has been and continues to be one of service. There are so many examples of this and the most impressive thing is that he often does kind things for people that would otherwise be forgotten by most of us (like the elderly, poor and forgotten). My mom really compliments him with this. Hopefully I can be less lazy and selfish and be more like him this way.
Also...he is a good dad. We always had good 'ol dad time with him. My friends loved coming to my birthday parties when I was younger because my dad was so much fun and wasn't afraid to throw us into the pool and tickle us. I still can't handle Dan tickling me because of this.
He is so dedicated to the Lord. He has always put Heavenly Father first in his life and done an incredible job of serving Him. I know callings don't really matter in the church but it's amazing that my dad has been a bishop twice and is currently serving in the stake presidency for the second time.
This leads me to the fourth thing I love about my dad...he is a leader and a go getter. He seems to achieve leadership positions without even trying. People who know him always so highly of him.
He is the hardest worker I know. In South Africa I had early morning seminary (at 6am) and it was a 30 minute drive from our home. He would wake up EVERY morning to make sure we got to seminary on time. THIS DROVE ME CRAZY by the way but I'm so grateful.
Lastly he's the best OUPA in the world. Katie thinks my dad is truly her best friend. Whenever she is hurt or upset or anything she says she wants to talk to her oupa. Her and Sharon love "oupa time."
I don't think my dad has ever read a blog in his life but I just wanted to tell him that I love him and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY uncle George!!! Thinking of you! Hope you have a wonderful day! XOXO

Anonymous said...

I totally agree...he is the best dad and Oupa ever!!! I have always loved how much respect and love Garreth has for him. He always says that he was the BEST dad and thinks he did such a great job! He is such a wonderful example to Gar and I. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful and loving father-in-law!! I couldn't ask for anyone better; seriously...I couldn't! George we love you! You deserve the best Birthday! Love ya dad!

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

What a sweet tribute. Those early morning wake up calls were the worst, especially when dad would do it singing. We loved when dad went away because that usually meant that mom would sleep in and forget about seminary. Dad is the best. We're lucky to have him.

Sharon & George said...

You are 100% correct Melissa. Your dad is pretty amazing. I will make sure he reads your blog. I love you and miss my grandbabies.

steph said...

What a beautiful tribute! You truly are blessed with such a wonderful father!

Christina Mangelson said...

I couldn't agree with you more. You four children are extremely blessed to have him as your father!