Monday, February 22, 2010

Kathleen Combs




The other day Katie asked if we could tell her what her name stands for. So we brilliantly took out the ol MAC and googled "meaning of names." Kathleen means purity.
Dan's mother passed away nine years ago and I never had the opportunity of meeting her. Strange as this might sound, I truly believe she helped Dan and I meet. So naturally when we found out that our first child was a girl, we named her Kathleen. We never looked-up what the name meant. Everything Dan and others have said about her is that she was a great lady. She loved her family so much.
Katie truly has one of the purest hearts I know. I know every mother feels that their children are special but Katie really is. I was playing the shuffle songs on the IPOD tonight and a song titled "Love Me" by Collin Ray came on. I noticed Katie was very sad and started to cry. When I asked her what was wrong she said that she remembers this is the song about Grandma Kathleen. All I could think was "how does she actually remember that we've told her this is the song that grandpa sang to grandma Kathleen at her funeral?!?" Then she said she was sad because she never got to meet her grandma Kathleen. I reminded her that she is in heaven watching over and protecting her. I reminded her about her ouma and how lucky she is to have a grandmother that is alive and loves her very much. She then said she wanted to write her grandma Kathleen a letter and hopefully she would be able to read it. I told her that if she writes it, then grandma Kathleen will definitely read it.
Katie...may you never ever change! Keep your purity of heart...it is a gift you have been given.

11 comments:

Sharon & George said...

Thats wonderful. Now could she write ouma a letter too?

Nades said...

what a beautiful spirit, she has... well done melissa and dan, on raising such a amazing daughter of God. She will bless your lives for so many years to come!

The du Toit Family said...

That is so sweet, moments like these are to treasure.

Charlene and Co said...

Thats such a fabulous post Melissa. What a stunning child you have raised! I got goosebumps reading your post!
Just think of all the moments like those that are still to come!
Give that clever daughter of yours a big hug from Aunty Charlene.

Henich Family said...

That was so cute...Katie is an amazing girl!

Carol said...

She sounds like a smart little girl. Really hope to meet her soon.

Cindy and Rob said...

Ah Melissa. Rob and I just got done reading that for the second time. We love her so much and know with out a doubt that she is so very special.

Alyse said...

Awwe. Katie is such a sweetheart. no wonder Jacksy loves her!

Chat said...

What a special, beautiful little angel.

Jennifer B said...

That is so sweet. I really wish you could have met "Aunt Kathy". I have so many fond memories. Katie is such a sweet girl. Love it!

steph said...

Melissa, how precious! You have such an amazing daughter! You are such an amazing mother to her! Love and miss you!