Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Our 1st Grader!

There was a big lump in my throat today as I sent my precious 6 year old off to first grade. It's quite the adjustment as Kindergarten is 2 hours and 45 minutes long and then they jump into first grade which is 7 hours long.
I was standing with her until the bell rang this morning and kissed her goodbye. She looked at me and said "mom don't kiss me in public!" Wow and so it starts.
We're so proud of you Katie: have a good year and always remember how much you are loved.




14 comments:

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

Wow! School has already started for you? I've still got another month of summer.

Our little ones grow up so fast.

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

You just got a lump in your throat. I just started crying. Seriously! I feel like the oldest auntie ever. I can not believe she is in 1st grade. She is so perfect. How I love her.
I may or may not have cried partly because I am about to start my period.

Nades said...

O my gosh! first grade already!??! ok Lissi, i think u need to turn back the clock, she isnt allowed to grow up so quickly!

p.s. the pictures are so adorable! definitely frame potential! :)

The du Toit Family said...

The kids do just grow up way to fast and when you look again they have finished school and are at university ....... absolutely no pause in time, so enjoy the moments ... love the photo's they are awesome .... love and miss you all.

Sharon & George said...

I hope the world treats her kindly! She is so very precious. When I spoke to her on the phone I asked if she recognized anyone from church and she said "only one girl, but she wasn't very friendly, but don't worry ouma I have other friends"

Anonymous said...

Awe she looks absolutely gorgeous! She really is so grown up...I loved going into first grad and spending the whole day at school like the big kids. Katie is going to shine! She is just a sweet girl, and yes...growing up so much! We just love the little ones :) Way to go Katie!

steph said...

What a big day! How are you doing today? I'm sure it is so much harder for everyone back at home! Katie is such a cutie and growing up so fast! Melissa & Dan you are such great parents!!! Love and miss you all!

Carol said...

I can't believe your little girl is so big already. what a beautiful young lady ...

Jane said...

I wish she was in Julia's class! First grade is so sad for moms, I am dreading our first day. Lets have dates and playdates for our younger ones while our big kids are gone all day.

Joni said...

No kissing in public comment was hilarious. She looks absolutely gorgeous for her first day. I bet you miss her sooooo much, first grade is definately harder than Kindergarten. The bad thing is that she will go off track for 3 weeks and then you have to feel sad all over again when she goes back each time.

Charlene and Co said...

Wow, I can completely believe how tough that day must have been. Makes us realize how quickly time flies and how independant they become + (we arent getting any younger :-))
Strange to not see her in a little school uniform...remember the little dresses and two ponies and little wooden case we had on our first day...???
My baby sister is in high school already and her friends always want to call me 'tannie' AAGGHHH!!
Big hug and kiss to our little scholar - Mwah, and a big hug for her mommy ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...Sam I almost got teary too! (Ofcourse I didn't, because I am a manly man, but hey, I came close).

She is the cutest thing ever. Great pics. It must be so scary for you Mel, being mom and all. I am nervous and excited for the lil' one and I'm only her Unc. I'll cut any six year old boy's nuts right off if they even think of playing kissing catches with her.

Lil' Shaz worships Katie...you can tell in that pic. She really, really does. Katie is a GREAT older sister (I don't think I've EVER seen em fight). Love you Katie...kick ASS!

R Clan said...

So much fun! They grow up way to fast. I can't believe she is in First grade. I haven't even talked to you all week to find out how it went.

Cindi said...

What a cutie! How was her first week! I bet she is doing great! :)